Food-grade diatomaceous can be applied to your cats' fur to kill fleas, ticks, and other parasites. Cover your cat's face with a towel and rub the diatomaceous earth into your cat's fur. The diatomaceous earth needs to be food-grade. Pool-grade diatomaceous earth is toxic.
High Priestess Maxine Dietrich posted some information regarding fleas to the Jos4Pets Yahoo Group here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/JoS ... ssages/466
and I have copied the message below.
"Those frontline drops and related that they put between the shoulders are IMO, not only worthless, but obviously toxic. Not to mention cancer causing.
I have found plain white vinegar to be very helpful in getting rid of fleas. It is also very helpful in skin conditions such as miliary dermatitis. I have a cat who had a bad case of miliary dermatitis. I first massaged cod liver oil [I bit the capsules and squeezed them onto his skin] and massaged it in and then I swabbed him in vinegar. It took 2 or 3 times and then all of his fur started growing back and he is fine now. Both are non-toxic.
If the skin is real sore, then make sure to massage oil into the fur/skin. You should also dilute the vinegar with some water first. If you can't get cod liver oil, then you can use cooking oil. NEVER put anything onto a cat that is not edible, as cats lick themselves and will ingest it. "